Nicole Nunes (Middle Left)
Honors, achievements, and special recognition:
- The Big Event Executive Staff- Marketing Coordinator
- Mortar Board Senior Honor Society
- University Student Ambassador
- Peer Leadership Consultant
- LeaderShape Institute graduate
- Lambda Sigma Honor Society
- University of Kansas Watkins-Berger Scholar
- University of Kansas Honors Program
- Global Awareness Program Certification
- Alpha Delta Pi Foundation Scholarship Recipient
- American Advertising Federation of Kansas City Foundation Scholarship
- Alpha Delta Pi Leadership Chair
- Kansas Governor's Scholar
- Kansas Honors Scholar
- Executive Women International Scholar
- University of Kansas Honor Roll
- Adopt-A-School Volunteer
- Greek Marketing Team
- Student Union Activities
How I became interested in my area of study:
In middle and high school, I absolutely loved working on the newspaper staff. However, journalism is not just reporting news. It encompasses public relations, advertising and aspects of marketing as well. My journalism major and minors in business and psychology will prepare me to solve problems on a daily basis in a fast-paced career.
Someone who has been a role model for me and why:
My parents are my role models. They are intelligent and hard-working, and they would do absolutely anything for their family. Their constant support and love continue to mold me as a person.
My favorite KU memory:
There are so many to choose from, but I would say watching the Mizzou game in Allen Fieldhouse last year. It was an epic conclusion to the Border War, and I get chills thinking about it. I will remember that game for the rest of my life.
When times get tough, something that helps me get through it:
I call my mom. The combination of her wisdom and sass never fails to make me feel better.
An important life lesson I have learned:
Don’t worry so much. Although it’s important to plan and work hard, it’s also important to stop and live in the present moment. Have ambitious goals, but don’t forget to enjoy your journey along the way.
If I had a sister just entering college, I would want her to know….
To get involved! Although it sounds incredibly cheesy, it is crucial to your college experience. Whether through Greek life or intramurals or one of the hundreds of clubs/organizations on campus, it is crucial to involve yourself on campus beyond the classroom. These experiences will help you grow and develop as a leader and a person.
A favorite quote or saying and why it is meaningful to me:
“Adventure may hurt you, but monotony will kill you.”
This saying is a constant reminder to push myself out of my comfort zone and to avoid getting stuck in ruts. It also represents my love for traveling and experiencing new things.